Featured Post

A Rememberance

How do we live every day without you? How do we not miss you?  Why have you gone so far that our voice won't reach you?  Why did ...

Monday, December 17, 2012

A Few Thoughts on An Extremist

A few weeks back millions came to pay homage to Bal thackrey . If he was hated so much , then from where those millions came from . Once someone told me no one would give a f*** about thackrey , had he born in Vidarbha .  I chuckled and said no wonder Vidarbh is not a separate state yet .  Other person said , " Had I got so much love from people , I would have really worked to change life of these people ? He never stepped out of Matoshree " . I said , "The scale of influence of thackrey on an average Maharashtrian is isn't measurable."  I might be wrong , he may not changed even single person's life or he might have.

The thing about Thackrey which I envy most is the era in which he spent his teens . He was merely 20 when India got its independence & world had just witnessed the world war . I wish I was born  around same time . On the day he died , Saam TV  was broadcasted an old interview of Balasaheb . In that interview thackrey seamlessly spoke about Stalin , Churchill and Nehru . He described cartoons of those times , explained in great detail how it created impact on him those times .It wasn't surprising that when Winston Churchill's biography was published, Thackeray was asked to contribute six of his cartoons. One just have to look at  his cartoons and you will what transpired in Indian politics in 60s -80s.

For me Thackrey is introduction page to politics . Had it  not been his speeches then , I may not have taken interest in 1998  assembly elections or thereafter many  elections that took place . For me Thackrey is an example of great orator and Free speech.  All in All thackrey always had positive influence on me  . Its what I took from him .

 It rather saddened me when there was more online cynicism & hatred for him .  So , the post. 

-A Bal Thackrey Fan

No comments:

Post a Comment