Featured Post

A Rememberance

How do we live every day without you? How do we not miss you?  Why have you gone so far that our voice won't reach you?  Why did ...

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Where is Your Heart?

Often, I am regarded as a top performing employee by external stakeholders and internal stakeholders in my set up. Although it does not surprise me, it does gives me a sense of fulfilment. The answer to how I achieve it lies in my experience across five organisations. Here's first of my lessons:

In the early part of my career, during a training program, I met Joseph, an old man well past retirement. He was teaching us the importance of making to-do lists, prioritising, and developing personal skills.

He had no presentation with him. For five hours in between tea and lunch breaks, he spoke to twenty-odd people in a well-lit room. 

He would make us clap between the sessions so that we stay awake and listen to his ramble. A technique, I witnessed for the first time but certainly not the last time. Honestly, he did not ramble.He spoke. He spoke with all his heart and we listened with rapt attention.

As the program ended I asked him why isn't he carrying a presentation with him, a norm in those days. Pointing his finger at his heart, he said, "I remember it here. If you put your heart in things you will not only remember but succeed too."

Unfortunately, social media was unheard of in those days. LinkedIn was not even born.I wanted to keep in touch with that old man but I did not muster up the courage ask for his email or phone number. I always thought I will retrieve it from the HR department. But, I didn't. 

However, ever since his lesson has stayed with me. I use it every day. But there is a consequence. When you put your heart into the work in a professional environment, the challenges are many.

When working across diverse functions, it is possible that people are not as motivated as you, and their priorities are different than yours.

It leads to workplace conflicts. It is said, that one must not be aggressive, and keep their cool when dealing with the conflict. But, I have noticed over all these years, talking softly has never worked in my favour. I have had to put my foot down and stand my ground on numerous occasions.

Surprisingly, the same colleagues forget the rift, move on, and above all, respond to the call of duty. 

I am thankful to Joseph for teaching me to put my heart into doing things personally and professionally.I do hope to get in touch someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment