Featured Post

A Rememberance

How do we live every day without you? How do we not miss you?  Why have you gone so far that our voice won't reach you?  Why did ...

Friday, April 1, 2016

A for Age


'Get this start-up below our belt,' I heard my boss as I got out of his car.

I turned to correct him to 'under our belt' but I stopped midway. Sanity got better off me, because I'd learned the golden rule — boss knows better than me. So, I just waved a good bye and said,

‘I never fail.’

‘Yes, After all you are coming of age, I can see. All the best.’

I went up to sixth floor swanky commercial complex where the prey waited for me. I was in great form and everything I touched these days turned to gold. I was smiling from ear to ear. This would be another feather in my cap.

 I headed to washroom as I always do to calm ‘bubbling kid’ in me, before the final negotiation and closed my eyes and remembered my first order as sales person. The first order I took was very special, I’d grabbed it single handedly from a major corporate without asking for help from seniors at my price. I’d confidently answered all queries which had all the right ‘words’ like brand, local service, quality standard etc.  I was a brainwashed kid then.

I opened my eyes looked at me in mirror and did a final touch up. I did appear older now. As I walked out of the washroom I saw a young girl accompany me.

She was me, oh! What an ugly face, thought I.

‘But I have a soul,’ said the younger me

‘Why did you come here, I came to see Nita who is coming of age.’

‘What do you think?’

‘Oh! You look pretty for the ugly mind of yours.’

That hurt! ‘What do you want?’

We had now reached the conference room and I was about to enter when she said,

‘These kids are honest bunch, they believe you and they believe in their business model, you will destroy them. Don't do it.”

‘They need money to stay afloat and anyone who will pay them will exploit them, then why shouldn’t I?”

And I went in. I saw her silhouette outside the room.

In the room sat young Karan with his attorney and partner. When I had met twenty two year old Karan for first time, I joked who names a kid— ‘Karan,’ and he had responded innocently his parents.

Today, His silky hair was moved in various directions and he wore rather somber colored blue blazer unlike stark black  which I wore.  He looked ‘cool’ in modern sense but he was much cooler and humble person.  I’d grown fond of him. I never let professional relationships interfere with my personal space but I’d like to meet Karan as a friend when we complete the deal.

I pushed agreement papers towards Karan which he gave it to his lawyer for a glance. The silhouette was still there. I was now feeling anxious. Karan spoke,

 '80% of founder leaves their start up after VCs takeover.'

'True.'

Karan looked at me, searching my eyes for an answer and I felt naked, those 1000 smart answers had deserted me. The silhouette seemed to smile cunningly.

Their lawyer gave a nod to papers; Karan signed them and walked towards me for customary handshake.

'I hope we are in good hands'

As I stood, I could feel my body wobble and finally words found me,

'No you are not and you won't be.' I tore the paper he signed in four parts. You should look for help within.  And I walked out of the conference room.

Once in open air I felt better looked at the sky – Yes, I have finally come of age.

No comments:

Post a Comment