Featured Post

A Rememberance

How do we live every day without you? How do we not miss you?  Why have you gone so far that our voice won't reach you?  Why did ...

Thursday, April 7, 2016

E For Elocution


‘Is the elocution ready?’

‘Sir, you forget that the government has placed various restrictions on you and one of them is giving speech at public gathering.’

‘No! Dear Avanta. You are a naïve boy but honest and loyal and that is the reason you are in this room. What you do not know is the Chief of Guards is visiting us tonight for a general chat. You should know this is confidential; you must not utter a word of it.

‘Oh! Master, forgive me for my ignorance. I shall make arrangements for evening.’

***

My master is son of a late politician who went by a ‘title’ ‘Agranya’. Agarnya had raised to power with support our community Ravas who are a majority in our state. Our community all the time feel the threats from Shanks who control most businesses in the city but Shanks are a minority. My community’s people work for Shanks to earn their living but Shanks are shrewd people. They exploit and harass our community. They marry their daughters to the choicest of Ravas and convert them to Shankite. Agranya rose to this occasion and called for various rules and regulations.  He was one of the most respected politicians in my childhood. But he was killed, no one knows who did it, and his son was a natural successor of his position. The son is exact replica of Agranya in looks, voice, and demeanor but lacks generosity and humility of his father.  

When Agranya got killed, blood shot in our veins and we were ready to revolt. One word from our Master and we would have brought down the government. But, Master chose otherwise, he said he wants to respect law and order. He assured his time would come soon.

In past five years, the government has brought more resolutions against him than finding who murdered Agranya. My Master lives in a gleam hope that he will rise to power with the radical speeches he gives and our media keeps giving them the coverage from time to time.

But, I — Avanta do not have any hope. I want to exit this mayhem and today is my chance. There has been a riot in one part of the city where the poor Shanks and Ravas live. They have fought over some pity ritual.  The government, who mainly represent Ravas — want my master to confront Shanks. A message they want my master to convey in a public gathering. That is the reason ‘Chief Of Guards’ visiting.

He will offer more money and a few more gatherings where my master will bring attention to the corruption in government and life will return to normalcy in our state. The Ravas will go back to work for Shanks and Shanks will lay low for time being.

Me, I will leave this state with the money Chief of Guard will give me for my Master’s expense.  My Master doesn’t lose as he gets to give his Elocution.

No comments:

Post a Comment