Featured Post

A Rememberance

How do we live every day without you? How do we not miss you?  Why have you gone so far that our voice won't reach you?  Why did ...

Saturday, April 2, 2016

B For Beggar

I for one always believed people should earn their money and not beg for it. But, a lot of my friend my friends think otherwise, one of them even said that I never had to sleep empty stomach and hence I do not know what a down trodden person goes through. True, probably.
I’ve been living in this so called city of dreams for a long time now. I know a lot of people throng this city in their hope to survive. People who have been uprooted from villages mostly due to lack of infrastructure or deeply rooted social structure.  I’ve seen them make living under the flyovers and footpath, selling books, toys and often felt helpless for being unable to do anything for their economical elevation. But, I’ve always stood against begging or giving money to children, especially. And then,
I met a transgender woman, who would meet me at Goregaon traffic signal daily and ask for money, every week. This went on for months. She was tall, broad, and dusky in features.  She wasn’t the most stylish or beautiful person in their lot as but she would come, twice a week, ask  in same tone and extend her palm for money. I would say,
‘No,’ in an angry tone or sometimes I might just smile, or be indifferent to her existence. It would be any range of emotions carried from home.
And then one day I was happy, very happy. I can’t recollect why but I was exuding happiness after a long time and it was visible. That day she came again,
‘de’

My hands went in my purse brought out a 10 Rupee note and I handed it over to her. She as usual without showing any emotion moved on to next person.  I felt, I rewarded her efforts of all these months. Frankly, I do not know why I gave her the money that day because next day — I didn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment